How to use Zoom
Zoom is gaining more and more popularity, because not always people can get together live, but they need to continue to study, conduct business negotiations, communicate with friends, etc. This service is convenient for organizing video meetings, and all basic functions are available completely free of charge. A user only has to figure out how to use a Zoom. We have prepared a detailed guide for this. We invite you to familiarize yourself with it.
The entire article is divided into several large chapters:
- Installing the program on a computer and a mobile application.
- Account registration (optional).
- Setting up.
- The nuances of joining a video conference.
- Organization of your own online meeting.
- Useful functions of the service.
Let’s take a look at each of them in turn. It will mainly focus on the computer client, but the mobile application will also be touched upon.
The developers have released a version of Zoom for PCs and phones. And on each device, the installation procedure is slightly different, so we will offer two separate instructions.
Computers and Laptops
Step by step guide for Windows:
- Download the latest version of the program here.
- Save and then open ZoomInstaller.exe.
- Wait a while until the unpacking of the files is completed.
As a result, the program will start on its own.
But for other operating systems, we analyzed the installation methods in separate articles:
Zoom also has a web version that works through a browser and does not require installation, but it requires its own account. All the main features are present in it, that is, they can connect to conferences and create their own users without any problems. We have discussed the features of the web version of this service in the article «Zoom in browser».
Smartphones and tablets
There is a mobile app called Zoom for two platforms: Android and iOS. In the first case, it will be possible to install it through the «Play Store», in the second – through the «App Store». Moreover, the procedure in both cases is very similar:
- Launch the appropriate app store on your device.
- Activate the search form. It will be located either at the top of the page or in a separate tab.
- Type in the name Zoom into the appropriate column using the virtual keyboard and search.
- On the results page, run and confirm the installation of the program.
And detailed instructions on how to use a conference in Zoom on a phone are described in separate articles for Android and iOS.
Account registration is not required in all cases. For example, if you only need to connect to a conference, then this procedure is completely useless, you just need to install the program. But to organize your video meetings, you still have to create an account.
Let’s take a quick look at this procedure:
- Go to the registration page.
- Select your date of birth here (data needed to verify age) and click on «Continue».
- Now enter your own email box to which you have access and click «Sign Up».
- And in the field below – the symbols from the picture, if it will be required.
- Click on the «Register» button.
- Now go to your email and open a new mail from Zoom.
- In it, click on the activation option.
- Fill in the missing information: first name with last name, as well as a password to enter.
- Click on the «Continue» button.
- And then on «Skip this step».
Now log into the account you just created on the desired device.
During a video conference, it is very important that everyone can hear each other. Therefore, you need to pre-configure the sound in the program. The same applies to videos. In this case, nothing will complicate communication.
In principle, you can skip this step if everything is in order. But if any problems are observed, then it is worth configuring:
Connecting to a conference
It’s time to talk about how to become a participant in an online meeting. And there are two options. The easiest way is if you have been sent a link to connect. If so, open it in any web browser, agree to launch Zoom Meetings, and provide additional information if required.
The second option is not so convenient anymore, and you need to know at least the meeting ID. In the main window of Zuma, click on the «Join» or «Join a Meeting» button.
In the upper field, enter the same meeting ID, and below – your nickname. Turn off the microphone and camera if desired, then they can be turned on. And now click on «Join».
In the new window, enter a password, if required, and wait for the organizer’s permission to connect.
Creating your own meeting
But organizing your own online meeting is a somewhat different process that requires a more responsible approach. First, the host needs to set up and schedule the conference. It is advisable to send out invitations to the participants in advance, launch it and remind everyone to connect. Therefore, this task is analyzed in a separate material.
The Zoom service fell in love with its users because of its high interactivity. It offers a ton of additional features worth knowing about. We will briefly analyze the most interesting of them:
- Push-to-talk – special feature to enable microphone by button.
- Virtual background – changing the user’s webcam background to any image or video.
- Visual filters (masks) like in Instagram or Snapchat.
- Organizing polls.
- Adding a presentation.
- Sharing screen and music.