Zoom for laptop
The laptop is great for online communication, such as video conferencing in Zoom. The webcam, microphone, and speakers are already built into it, which means that everyone will see and hear everyone. The program is simple to install and configure. But here users may have difficulties. Let’s figure out how to download Zoom for free on a laptop and connect to meetings.
The developers of this platform release not only an application for smartphones and tablets but also a program for a PC. It is available for Windows systems, and for MacBooks from Apple, and even for various laptops with Linux distributions.
In terms of its capabilities and interface, each of the versions is almost identical. But the installation itself is different for them due to the specifics of operating systems.
For this reason, we have prepared 3 separate guides. They will be taken apart first. And then – general instructions on how to join the conference, setting up sound and video, as well as other nuances of use.
At the very bottom of the article, there is a link to download Zoom.
Instruction №1: Windows
On laptops running Windows that the installation process is the easiest. Follow these steps:
- Use this link to go download page of the program.
- Once it opens, click on the marked button:
- Save installation file ZoomInstaller.exe and then run it.
The installation will be completed automatically, after a few seconds. No additional actions from the user are required. Zoom will open after it. In the future, the program will be opened using a new shortcut on the desktop. It will also appear in the Start menu.
Instruction №2: macOS
But on MacBooks, the installation will take more steps, but it’s still pretty straightforward. Follow the suggested algorithm to not get confused:
- As in the previous case, visit the Zoom download page.
- Click on the top download button.
- Save the Zoom.pkg file.
- Open it to start the procedure.
- Click on the «Continue» button in the new window.
- Choose user in the next window.
- Use the «Install» button to continue.
- When prompted, enter the password for the account and start the procedure.
- And at the end, close this window.
The first time Zoom will open automatically, and in the future, it can be done from the general list of programs and applications.
Instruction №3: Various Linux Distributions
The most common laptops are based on Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and similar distributions with a graphical interface. In them, the installation procedure for Zoom is quite simple. In Terminal, run the command
sudo apt install gdebi.
It is needed to download the Gdebi unpacker if it is not initially present in the system.
Next, in the provided web browser, open the link https://zoom.us/download?os=linux. On the new page, select your build of the system and its versions. Then click on the Download button and save the installation package.
Open it with an unpacker and run the procedure.
How to use
If you just need to join a meeting, own Zoom account not necessary. Registration is required for:
- Organizing your own meeting.
- Getting additional features (scheduler, contact list, etc.).
- Switching to a paid subscription.
You can find the process of creating an account in our article.
Well, here we will analyze the connection to an existing video conference. There are two ways to do this:
- Open a link with an invitation and agree with the launching program.
- Directly in Zoom, click on the blue button, fill in the column with the identifier, and display name. Join a meeting, and in another form – a password.
In both cases, you will have to wait for permission to connect, if this function has not been disabled in the settings by the admin.
When you first participate in a conference, it makes sense to set up audio and video. Algorithm of actions:
- Click on the highlighted buttons to go to the parameters page:
- Make sure the microphone and speaker are working. To do this, use the «Test…» button.
- If something is too loud or quiet, then adjust the volume levels.
- From the left menu, visit the «Video» section.
- Adjust the settings for the laptop’s built-in webcam. To improve its quality, check «HD» mode.
It will be useful to review the contents of the «Keyboard Shortcuts» section. Convenient combinations for managing the conference are indicated there. For instance,